- 3 Beds
- 3 Baths
- 2.56 Acres
- 2,316 Sqft
- Built in 1953
- Ranch House
Gilbert Corners is a small location in beautiful Wilton, Connecticut that consists of an intersection between New Canaan Road and Belden Hill. At the northwest corner of Belden Hill and New Canaan Road stands a big white house that was once owned by the Gilbert family, and was inhabited by Mother Gilbert until her passing at the age of 107.
The Gilberts were a family of farmers and owned much of the land that ran from that corner all the way down to the reservoir. Some other interesting background family history includes George, one of the Gilbert boys marrying Kathryne Scallon (whose family also had ties to the Belden Hill area – the Scallon family were caretakers on another nearby farm). Seeing as how George was an accomplished carpenter, he built his newlywed a lovely house over on Olmstead Hill Road.
While this area is small, it is rich in local and historical significance. Also located at Gilbert Corners is the Miller-Driscoll elementary school, the Presbyterian Church, the New Hope Church, and the Episcopalian Church. Down the road heading toward New Canaan, is the Friends’ School, as well as the Friends’ Quaker Meeting House.
The center of the town of Wilton is just under a mile away, in addition to the Huckleberry Reservoir also being located nearby.