DID YOU KNOW THERE WAS A MURDER AT THE LAMBERT HOUSE??
The David Lambert House (also known as “Lilacstead”) is a historic house at 150 Danbury Road in Wilton, CT at the intersection of Route 7 (Danbury Road) and Route 33 (Westport Road). Wilton’s oldest dwelling. The house was built by David Lambert, (one of Wilton’s first settlers, who came from Milford) sometime around 1722 and 1750.
During those years the Lambert House was a public house or tavern. At that time David Lambert purchased approximately 135 acres of land. Some say the house was fired on by British soldiers.
The house had marble fireplaces and beautiful wallpapers.
In 1824 Marquis de Lafayette the French Military hero stopped at the Lambert House.
The Lambert House was also a station on the “Underground Railroad.”
David S.R. Lambert created a school for boys in the Lambert House called The Lambert Academy.
On December 17, 1897 David’s wife Eva was bound and chloroformed when two men wearing masks entered their home looking for money and silver. When David arrived home he struggled with the two masked men and was shot.
He died five days later. A very intense investigation carried on until the two men were found and arrested. Both men brought to trial in Connecticut, found guilty and executed. Apparently, the murderers were two students of David S.R. Lambert some years before.
The Lambert House is now owned by the local historical society, and is a museum and an office with some privately rented apartments upstairs. Lambert Corners has buildings scattered around its 3.5 acre property.All buildings have been beautifully restored. There are offices, retail stores and apartments.
The Lambert House was featured on the town seal.